Tuesday, October 6, 2015

CSUF MSIDT Midpoint Reflection

CSUF Titans Baseball Logo
Hello!
After completing more than half of the CSUF MSIDT program, it seems like a good time to look back and see how far I have come in the process. Today we are going to take another look at how I chose the program and a few things I have gotten out of it already.
After deciding to pursue a master's degree in instructional design, I did some homework and the program I chose would have to be:
1. Worthwhile, as I was not doing this just to get a degree, there would actually have to be development of knowledge and skills.
2. Completed while working full-time at my career. This made flexibility of online programs more attractive.
3. Accredited so it would be accepted by future employers (or customers).
4. Affordable on my family's budget.
After completing a lot of research and speaking to other instructional designers, I focused on five different instructional design programs: Indiana University, Florida State University, Virginia Tech, Boise State University, and California State University at Fullerton.
These are all good programs, but out-of-state tuition prices put many of these out of reach. I initially gravitated towards CSU Fullerton because it would be more affordable, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Also, the Fullerton program is well-regarded, and its a Master's of Science brings many elements of online learning into the mix, which how a lot of learning will happen in the future.
There are a few things that I have learned in the CSUF MSIDT program that are already helping me in my career.
The first thing is a more extensive knowledge of learning theories. Learning about them is one thing, but there is also the realization that there is no single right way to do things. All learners are different, and effective learning for any group or individual will probably require more than one theory or approach so that as many students as possible can benefit from the experience.
The other thing that has been great for me is having the luxury to go through full development processes with completely prepared design documents. I often do not have the luxury of time to do this on work projects, and there are some important steps that I have missed in the past that could have made my life much easier.
Thanks for checking in, and stay tuned for more news from the IDT program!











No comments:

Post a Comment